"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die."

Thursday, November 23, 2017

On Being a Part-Time Writer with a Full-Time Heart


I have three jobs other than writing: editing newspapers and magazines, proof-reading, and teaching English. I'm also a mum. I love all my jobs- there's not one I'd rather do over another...

But I'd love more time to write. A 30-hour day would about do the trick!

I get ideas all the time- travelling on the city underground, on a bus, walking down the street, even (sorry!) when listening to a student talk in class. My characters pop up on their own 'timetable,' not mine. But that means I'm not always able to open my laptop to write it down. Which means I have to wait till I get home or the kids go to bed (or are set up in front of cartoons!). Luckily, my characters tend to be patient and ideas don't get lost in the waiting. 

I do feel sorry for my family, though. Because sometimes I HAVE to write- that warm, exciting, 'you've got something, there, Kate!' feeling takes over and off fly my fingers over the keys for the next few hours. A huge shout out to my family for living without mum/wife during those times. I do feel guilty. I promise that I'll take a break before I start my next book- dedicate that 'empty time' 100% to my kids and husband. But it's 12 years and counting and the inspiration has yet to dry up!

It's about balance. And it means that sometimes my characters, plot, books and marketing have to take a back seat. However frustrating that is.

1 comment:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete