"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die."

Thursday, June 16, 2016


EXCLUSIVE Interview with Dacre Stoker
Great Grand-Nephew of the Author of Dracula


What does it mean to be the great grand-nephew of Bram Stoker

I do feel a sense of responsibility to “perform” in a manner consistent with Bram Stoker’s reputation. He was a very level headed man, conservative in his outlook, reliable and faithful to his friends. Bram’s 27 years as Sir Henry Irving’s Manager and also Manager of the Lyceum Theater brought with it a tremendous amount of work and responsibility.  I have to admit it's a bonus to be in the business of promoting someone who's been so successful, however I do feel that I need to make a name for myself as opposed to simple riding Bram’s coattails. 

What was it like growing up- school, college -with people knowing the Dracula connection? 

Truthfully, there wasn't much of a connection made between myself and Bram Stoker until I co-authored Dracula the Un-Dead which was published in 2009. You see most fans know Dracula but the name Stoker comes only with a reminder of who wrote the book.

How did you get into fiction writing? Do you feel Bram's influence when you write? 

I only started writing when Ian Holt nudged me into collaborating with him on Dracula the Un-Dead. It was and still is a slow process for me, as conveying my thoughts into plots and chapters doesn't come naturally to me. I don’t feel Bram’s influence, just a desire to help the world know more about him.

What are you working on right now?

I have a few projects going on at the moment. I have a historical fiction in the works that can be described as the reason why Bram Stoker wrote Dracula. I'm  also working on a script of a documentary about my quest to find out the truth about Bram Stoker and what events in his life contributed to his writing of Dracula. I'm also developing new and interesting bits of information to include in my Stoker on Stoker Power Point lectures that take me all over the world.

How does horror literature today compare to that of Bram's time? 

Today's horror is much more developed. Gothic horror was just getting stared in the early 1800s, Frankenstein was published in 1818, Dracula came out 1897. So nowadays horror is much more mainstream and includes everyday events, it's not just fantasy. 

Which do you prefer?

I like the old classics, but I also love some of the modern innovators, I enjoy reading well-known writers like Stephen King, and also up-and-coming writers like David Wellington and JD Barker.

What's your favourite book (apart from Blood Omen ;) )? 

Stephen King’s The Stand and Salem’s Lot really did it for me. 

When you're not working on something Bram-related, how much of a role do vampires/Dracula play in your life? 

Almost none, as I'm very involved in the teaching and coaching of Court Tennis, and I do a lot of Fly-fishing in remote areas, so in my free time I manage to put the horror part of my life on the shelf.

Do vampire fans regularly contact you? 

Yes, but that's part of the business. Nowadays fans like to connect with authors via social media, and that's fine with me. Although at one event in New Orleans I did get asked by a fan if I would please give her some Stoker blood!!

How, in your experience, do the Transylvanians/Romanians feel about Dracula, Bram Stoker and vampires?

For the most part present day Romanians/Transylvanians are tolerant of the interest in vampires that drives tourists to visit their country. However, I have to say that some get a little tired of the misconceptions that exist, and which pop culture media has proliferated, connecting a Romanian national hero - Prince Vlad Dracula lll - to the blood sucking Count Dracula. I'm on a quest to promote the understanding that one is a fictional character and the other is a historic figure.  

Has your family name ever caused you any problems in Romania? 

Occasionally someone  sees my name and does a bit of a double take, but nothing bad has ever happened

Katie Ruth Davies & Dacre Stoker
Stoker gets hungry at the International Vampire Film & Arts Festival 2016, Transylvania :D

Buy Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker here


No comments:

Post a Comment