"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die."

Monday, March 7, 2016

#AuthorTips - Giving a #BookPresentation

I just read a brilliant blog post I want to share by an American author who had what started out as a 'bad' book signing- boring, no interest from the public- and turned into something special and fulfilling, all because of one woman.

...then a rush at the end as the young readers scrabble for autographs and Selfies with the Author. It's Georgia (Republic of), not Hollywood. But for those brilliant few minutes I get a taste of fame!

It's happened to me, too- the big build up, the countdown, the posters up and the banners in place, people ('fans') online telling you they'll definitely come, can't wait to meet you...then BAM! Five people turn up and one of those is your so-called marketing manager. Thankfully, that kind of thing has only happened to me once so far. But it is true that just the enthusiasm of one fan can turn your day around- that fan who has read your books, loves your style, knows your characters (yes, the ones that came from your own heart and mind!) inside-out... and when there are a group of them all together...

My best book presentations- most of which happen in schools with teens 13-16- involve a long and detailed Q&A session bursting with curiosity and enthusiasm and a rush at the end as the young readers scrabble for autographs and Selfies with the Author. It's Georgia (Republic of), not Hollywood. But for those brilliant few minutes I get a taste of fame! :) Well, to be honest, it's not the fame that tugs my heart strings and motivates me to keep writing- its those fans who have connected so well with my characters that they disappear for entire days into the fictional world I created...


Here are some quotes to that blog post and a link below for the full delight:

"At my first two signings I had someone to talk to; here I'm falling asleep in my chair with an hour to go..."

"I made my initial contact with the people at the store and go back outside to wait the clock out for the right time. In the beginning you get your hopes up, when I saw the parking lot was full I thought, "this could be good." But when I went inside everyone was going about their business, ignoring me. Reality sets in quickly and keeps you in check, nails your feet to the ground."

"All it takes is one person to turn your whole day around, someone who has a genuine interest in you and your work. I know she'll read it and probably enjoy it because I gave her a little insight into how I wrote it and what it was about. That's why the Internet can't even hold a candle to real life. As authors we try to put our energy into words so people can experience it over and over. A post or a message no matter how much energy the sender has will always fall short of what you get from the human face."

For the full blog by Christopher Sharp, go here.


One of my many 'best' presentations. Some of these teens even knew Strix (the Blood Omen vampire language!)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment