"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die."

Saturday, August 12, 2017

INTERVIEW with Santi

Interview with Santi [TRANSCRIPT]

Name: Santiago de la Cal Fernandez
Date of Birth: July 18, 1878
Place of Birth: Catalunya, Spain
Species: Llamia

Nice to meet you, Santi.
Same here.

So, what are your hobbies?
Riding- horses, bikes. Mechanics. Movies, mostly sci-fi. Reading- anything. Clubbing. Video games...

Tell us about Dea.
[smiles] She’s the best thing in my life. The central thing, actually. She gives me a warmth and strength to make it through any difficulties- and we’ve had a lot of those! She’s gentle but strong, shy but brave, curious but patient…everything, really. We just click.

But you met her as a baby…
 [laughs and runs a hand through his hair] Well, yeah. She was a few months old when Nathan brought her to the house. She was a cute kid. I guess you think it’s weird that I’m in love with a girl I watched growing up?

Well…
It’s ok. You’re human. We vampires think differently about time and age. When we stop aging, that’s how we see ourselves. I don’t feel like I’m over 100 so why should I act like it? When Dea turned 16, she grew up. Her mum’s illness had a lot to do with that. But I started to see her more as a young woman and not as the child I’d been protecting.

When did you first realize you were in love with her?
[frowns] When the Apophi nearly got her on my birthday. That’s when I knew I couldn’t live without her. It was also when I realized how vulnerable love can make you…

Is that why you broke it off for a while?
You know about that? Yes. I felt I couldn’t protect her like I needed to. But when Stuart nearly got her, I gave up fighting my feelings.

What was it like when she was in the Temple?
Hell.

Why do you hate Stuart so much?
He killed too many people I know. He was willing to kill Dea…

But the Prophecy…
Can we not talk about that?

Ok. Why did you choose to be a Ko-ek?
I was brought up that way. And I believe it’s the right way. Yes, the majority of western society lives in a way contrary to nature- over-consumption, pollution, over-population. But there are many out there who are living like us; who are trying to find alternative ways to co-exist and who respect our environment. There are also plenty of humans still living as they have for hundreds of years- in Africa, Asia, South America…

Tribes?
Yes.

What about your ‘tribe’?
Tribe? You mean the Coven? Well, I’ve been part of it since Elias saved me. Elias met David first, then they found me. Mica came next, Nick and Takeshi, then Lucas and Charlotte.

Like a big family…
Yes. We’re like brothers and sisters. We have a lot of fun together. Sometimes we fight. But we’re united by our purpose- one which David and Elias gave us…

To protect Dea?
That’s right.

But doesn’t it bother you, living in hiding?
Most people aren’t ready to deal with the reality of vampires. Yes, there are vampire fans, vampire wannabes…but I doubt even they could deal with the need to hunt and drink blood and kill every day. They might say they could deal, but it’s psychologically very heavy if you haven’t lived with it all your life like we have. So, no, it doesn’t bother me. We’ve always been in hiding. But we have our own ways to be ‘out’ and part of society- our own clubs, for example. And anyway, we have another reason to stay under the radar- to keep Dea safe.

If you could change ONE thing about your past, what would it be?
What happened to my sister. But, then, everything happens for a reason, I suppose.


Gratsei for talking to us. Can we contact you again if the readers have any questions for you?

Sure.

Great! Say ‘hi’ to Dea for us.

I will.


If YOU have a question for Santi or any of the other Blood Omen stars, write it in the comment box below!


No comments:

Post a Comment